Welcome to Science@LeRocquier where we:
- Provide a learning environment that is:
- Encourage our students to be:
- Effective time managers.
- Give all students the opportunity to achieve a level of knowledge in line with their maximum potential and appropriate for their future.
- Hold values which are based on respect, trust and integrity between students and students, students and teachers and teachers and teachers.
- Recognise and appreciate individuality.
- Endeavour to become a nationally recognised leader in science, providing excellence in teaching and learning.
- Live by the motto: Quant Je Puis
Head of Science
Deputy Head of Science
Teachers of Science
Senior Lab Technician
GCSE (Year 10 and 11)
We study the following GCSE specification:
AQA Combined Science Trilogy 8464 (2x GCSEs) which can be accessed here:
In Years 10 and 11, we revise the content covered in Years 7 - 9 and cover the remaining topics using a wide range of resources including note booklets and synoptic assessments organised in lever arch folders split according to exam papers.
KS3 (Year 7 - 9)
In Year 7, 8 and 9 we focus on developing key study skills and building students’ interest in the subject with a practical and investigative approach to the subject that references the core GCSE topics where appropriate.
All students will have a ring binder folder for their work which is split according to each science.
All homework tasks are set on Doddle and parents/ carers are encouraged to check this regularly to ensure that their children are completing any work set.
In Years 7 - 9, students can expect to receive approx. 30 - 60 minutes per week of homework from science.
In Years 10 - 11, students can expect to receive approx. 2 - 3 hours per week of homework from science.
Homework in both Key Stage 3 and 4 may be in the form of: lesson consolidation/ preparation, learning key facts, organisation of folders, a homework sheet, a research task, correcting/ repeating an assessment or revision for a tracking assessment e.g. mind-maps etc.
Students who do not submit homework by the deadline set, without a valid reason, will receive an after school detention to complete the work with support.
All students at Le Rocquier School have a minimum expected grade (MEG) and here at Science@LeRocquier, we pride ourselves on the level of support we offer our students to help ensure that they all achieve above this with:
- One-to-one support sessions before school, break time, lunch time or after school.
- A wide range of text books and revision guides available in all classrooms and the library.
- In and out of class ‘study buddies’.
- Easy access to all resources via the school shared area or Doddle.
All GCSE science students will receive everything that they need to achieve their maximum potential. However, for those who are keen to use additional resources to supplement their learning, we recommend the following:
- AQA Combined Science Trilogy 1 & 2 textbooks
ISBN: 978-1-4718-5135-3 and 978-1-4718-5136-0
- Revise AQA GCSE Combined Science Trilogy revision guide
- Revise AQA GCSE Combined Science Trilogy revision workbook
- BBC Bitesize website
- Tassomai App for smart phones
- Attend every lesson
- Arrive on time
- Have all equipment
- Remain engaged and participate fully in all tasks
- Catch up when you miss lessons
- Consolidate, and prepare for every lesson
- Use your class notes etc. to complete homeworks
- Work collaboratively if needed but not copy!
- Submit homework on time
(completed in full to a high standard)
- Learn the key facts that are required
- Allow yourself, and others, to make mistakes
- Reflect on your learning
(and learn from your mistakes)
- Be respectful of others
- Ask for support if you need it
- Commit fully to the course you are on
- Be positive and ambitious about your learning
The following equipment, which is not provided, is required to successfully study Science@LeRocquier:
- Basic school equipment – eg pen, pencil, rubber etc.
- Different coloured pens or highlighters
- Scientific calculator.
CAREERS IN SCIENCE
to have Science
to have Science
Climate Change Analyst
Health & Safety Engineer